I recently came across a post on a different kind of top 20 (or worse 20) list. This list is of bad software (or at least poorly behaving software). The focus of the article was on web applications but, too be honest, I think there are still some ‘regular’ applications that make these same mistakes as well.
I don’t want to reproduce the entire 20 items, you can go to the original article here and read those. I would like to point out that that author forgot some of my personal least favorites:
- 21. Desktop search that doesn’t pay attention to my bookmarks/favorites.
- 22. Blog software that puts you into the middle of the article (the site that this list originally shows up in is guilty of this one).
- 23. Software that installs wherever it wants to without asking the user
- 24. Fighting music formats
I did like some of the items on the original list. Especially
5. No Undo/Redo
6. No Cut/Copy/Paste
13. Tiny Fonts
19. Not Eating Their Own Dog Food (although I prefer the statement “Not drinking their own champagne”
20. Bugs – what is up with “beta” releases of software that go for months, if not years!
SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS – YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT USABILITY WHEN YOU WRITE YOUR SOFTWARE (and yes, I did intend to have my caps lock on when I was shouting despite number 7).
I am done with this topic for now but I reserve the right to rant more on it someday.
Did you know that you can have these articles emailed to you? Click on the Email link in the upper right corner Subscribe section, fill out the details, and you are set. No one will see your email address and you won’t get more spam by doing this.